Thursday, September 15, 2016

Revisiting Dick Clark's Elvis Movie

Revisiting Dick Clark's Elvis Movie 

by  Don Wilson (with a special contribution from Larry Geller)

 

Kurt Russell's breakout role as Elvis Presley in Dick Clark's production of "Elvis", directed by John Carpenter.

HOLLYWOOD, CA.: September 15, 2016-- In 1979 Elvis was everywhere, although he passed away on August 16, 1977. The first motion picture on the Rock king's life fell into capable hands. The movie isn't perfect, but it is the best production on the life of Elvis Presley. Dick Clark told me in 2001: "That's what you call 'Artistic License' depicting the man's life in the constraints of a production." 

Clark was right, how can you fill the nearly two and a half hours with Elvis's full story? You simply can't. There are so many elements to consider. Clark continues: "I presented it to ABC before Elvis' death. The idea was the drama of Elvis' triumphant return to Las Vegas in 1969, where the film begins. We talked about it several weeks and they said 'We will go ahead.' Ironically, that verbal agreement was the morning of August 16, 1977, the day of Elvis's death. The ultimate irony is that a year later - to the day I found on my desk a telegram from ABC-TV saying 'commence principal photography'."

The movie begins and ends in 1969 at the point of Elvis's historic comeback to the stage at the International Hotel (later the Las Vegas Hilton) Dick Clark remembers: "When I saw Elvis at the International, you could feel the love in the room. To see what that man could do was amazing! He had a great look, a great voice, he had the magic. He left us with a wonderful legacy. On the personal side, I wish he had achieved more happiness." 

"My favorite recollection of when we did the Elvis film for television was the casting. We ended up casting a guy named Kurt Russell, who up until that time had worked for  Mr. Disney in 'The Flying Rubber Duck' or silly films. The world fell on us. 'You got Kurt Russell? The Disney actor in the title role? Are you crazy?' You know what, Kurt did the best job, the most extraordinary ever, he was magnificent. Every nuance of the performance. He should have won an Emmy!"

Technical Advisors included Elvis's close friends and confidantes Charlie Hodge (left) and Larry Geller (right) flanking the film's star, Kurt Russell.

The late Charlie Hodge was a friend of this writer, Charlie lived at Graceland from 1960-1977, he sang harmony with Elvis and appeared with him on stage at all of his concerts. Charlie told me years ago: "Kurt Russell did a great job as Elvis, he really did his homework, and he has a great appreciation for Elvis to this day. I really enjoyed working on the project. Who would have known that the kid that kicked Elvis in the chin in 'It Happened At The World's Fair' would later play him in a film - and do an excellent job! I had to catch myself a couple of times, he had Elvis down."

Kurt Russell kicks Elvis in a scene from MGM's "It Happened At The World's Fair", shot in 1962.

 Kurt Russell recalls meeting with Elvis Presley and working with him: "It was my first brush with a real celebrity. I've never seen anything having to do with a real celebrity before. I didn't really know who Elvis Presley was. I was a ten-year-old kid. I knew Elvis Presley was a name that everybody knew. If I had seen him, I didn't know it. I wasn't into music and I didn't listen to music much."

"So, the first time he came on the set, a car went on the set, hundreds of women just broke through there and just got on his car. We were all staring and I was thinking what's going on there? This guy says 'Well, that's Elvis, we won't be able to get him on this round.' They backed the car up and I was just watching them attack the car. Wow."

Kurt Russell on Elvis for TCM.

 "To a ten-year-old kid, it's like 'What are they doing? What are they thinking?' Elvis came out later through a different way, and he's just this really nice guy. I was just this kid and I asked him, 'What's the deal with all those girls jumping on your car?' He could see that I was just this innocent kid and responded with 'Ah, they get crazy!' I told him 'You should never come in that way again, you know.' So, I remember that. I remember him having his car completely jumped up with girls!"

Larry Geller (far left) with Elvis and other members of the Memphis Mafia, including Marty Lacker, Joe Esposito and Jerry Schilling.

 

Enter Larry Geller: "It was 1978, less than a year since Elvis passed away. I was still experiencing deep shock, feeling as though my life had cracked open, clueless as to where I was headed."

"One afternoon I received a call inviting me to a meeting with Dick Clark and his production staff concerning a movie project about Elvis. The worldwide media at that time was ablaze with stories about Elvis - from the tabloids like The National Enquirer, The Globe, movie magazines, to newspapers and TV shows like "Entertainment Tonight" - they ate up anything Elvis! And a good deal of the stories, articles and interviews drove me crazy - my initiation into the media's trap of fabrications, half-truths and pure BS! Especially coming from some..."

"I did have plenty of trepidation about the meeting, only like most others I admired and respected Dick Clark. But, i was still very leery and cautious - I had no idea what to expect. I met Dick Clark, the writer Anthony Lawrence and a few other key people for the production. I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked them all, especially their total respect and love for Elvis. But still, I kept my eyes open, and only one overriding thought in mind - protecting Elvis as best as I could!" 

Elvis performing to adoring fans in Florida. Larry Geller can be seen to the right (kneeling) protecting his friend.

"They asked me to be part of the production as a technical advisor, help the writer in a few area, and also play myself in several scenes. I was told that Charlie Hodge also was attached to the TV movie (I spoke with Charlie later that day, which further convinced me that joining the production was absolutely the right thing to do.) "

"One of the few questions I asked was who they had cast to portray Elvis. When they said Kurt Russell my whole body came to attention, my eyes opened wide, and I exclaimed 'Kurt Russell to play Elvis?' My optimism came to a screeching halt. I knew who Kurt was, had seen him before, and knew that as a kid he worked with Elvis in 'It Happened At The World's Fair.' I recognized that Kurt was a good actor - but as Elvis Presley! Elvis was the most dynamic, extraordinary handsome star who ever lived. A living masterpiece!"

 

"The team tried to convince me and asked if I would meet with Kurt, talk with him and maybe even cut, style and color his hair black like Elvis' and then see how I felt. I agreed."

"At the time I was house-sitting singer Johnny Rivers' home off Mulholland Drive in Beverly Hills. A meeting was set a few days later and Kurt Russell came over to the house. I must say that upon my first impressions, I liked him, and could see right off the bat that he could pull it off. But what really impressed me the most was Kurt's sincerity, intelligence and most of all his intent to honor Elvis. It was obvious just how much Kurt loved Elvis. Not being in the union, I wasn't allowed to do Kurt's hair for the movie. The hairdressers on the set had an easier job, as I had already cut and colored his hair; all they had to do was follow what was already created. They performed their task beautifully."

"We spoke for many hours that first afternoon. he shared stories of working with Elvis, which made an indelible mark upon him. I told him story after story about Elvis. He sat there eating it up. After I dyed his hair and styled it - his look as Elvis began taking shape, Believe me, I know that no one  could ever appear to duplicate that face, that Elvis look completely. My task was to at least come as close as possible. And I must say that of all the TV movies and series, and feature films - it was Kurt Russell who is till on the top of the heap. And from what I've been told, most others feel the same way. It was during  filming when I first realized that for someone to portray Elvis, to capture his essence, a trained actor, schooled and seasoned in his craft is the best way to go. There are several terrific ETA's out there, who would love to be Elvis in a movie, and might even do a decent job, but a talented actor who understands his craft is my first choice." 

Season Hubley (as Priscilla Presley) and Kurt Russell (as Elvis Presley) in "Elvis" (1979)

"One principal photography began on the movie, it soon became crystal clear that Kurt Russell was a wise and well thought-out choice. I remember filming one afternoon in Long Beach, California, at a home that was being used as Graceland. Kurt and Season Hubley, who was portraying Priscilla were rehearsing, standing at a gate. My back was turned to them, when suddenly Kurt yelled out 'Priscilla come here!' Without a thought my whole body swiftly turned around actually thinking it was Elvis. The momentary experience stunned me. Man, not only did Kurt sound like Elvis, but he carried and conveyed something very real."

Kurt Russell and Season Hubley shooting a scene in Long Beach, California at a house that doubled for Graceland.


 

Shelley Winters (as Gladys Presley) and Kurt Russell (as Elvis Presley) in a scene from "Elvis".

 "From director John Carpenter, to Shelley Winters to Bing Russell (Kurt's father, who portrayed Vernon Presley) and the entire cast and crew, the production went smoothly and was joy to be a part of. Many of the people during production would come up up to me and ask about Elvis. A lot of my time was spent telling anecdotes that everyone loved to hear. Although there were other tech advisors, only Charlie Hodge and I were there every day for the entire filming."

 

"I did play myself in one scene, and was asked to be in another bigger one. I declined. The scene they asked me to be in, and would be written right there on the spot, is where Elvis fired his entourage - which did happen several times, but not exactly the way it was presented. I remember when I was against being in the scene, they offered me a handsome fee. Tempting, but I explained that although this might have happened on occasion, I was never fired. I couldn't put that out there; it wasn't the truth, and I couldn't let myself be seen that way."

"So I've been asked over the years my opinion about the finished product. was it all authentic, did I like the movie? I did like the movie - but it did have its flaws. many of the scenes were entirely made up - but metaphorically, it captures something that no mother movie has - to date. I'm very proud to have been part of a professional production of that caliber and to be associated with it. working closely with Kurt was very special. We became friends during that experience - he's a terrific guy who did his best - one hell of a responsibility that he's very proud of."

"Truth be told, if I were to make a movie about Elvis now, I would put to use a lot of what I learned by being part of Dick Clark's production."

 

 

Becky Yancey, a secretary to both Elvis Presley and his father, Vernon Presley was also a technical advisor on "Elvis."

Becky Yancey, a secretary to Elvis at Graceland was a technical advisor on "Elvis" as well, she recently said: "I am happy to hear that the movie 'Elvis' starring Kurt Russell is now available on Blu-ray. I have it on DVD. It was an honor to have something to do with this movie and meet the great cast, plus meeting the great Dick Clark. Kurt Russell did an amazing job playing Elvis. I think this film is the best that has ever been made about Elvis."

When Joe Esposito and I met with Dick Clark at his office I interviewed the American icon, Joe asked a couple of questions too. Clark timed himself for 15 second soundbites and even counted down. I just watched the unreleased video interview and in the end, Clark said, "Now, turn the camera off and I will tell you the whole story!" I made notes and now except for the sound bites used for the 2002 documentary "The Definitive Elvis", more facts from that meeting:

Kurt Russell and director John Carpenter met with Elvis' father Vernon Presley at Graceland prior to production. Mr. Presley liked Kurt and wanted to give him the feel for portraying his son, Elvis and suggested he try on one of his jumpsuits, Kurt picked out one and with Vernon Presley's permission wore it in the film. The suit was meant to be returned, but it never was and Vernon Presley died on June 26, 1979. Later, the suit was auctioned off and was last seen on display at the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando, Florida.

Elvis Presley wearing the jumpsuit that Kurt Russell later wore in the 1979 film.

Elvis first wore the "Adonis" jumpsuit (above) at Madison Square Garden in June 1972. Below is a shot of Kurt Russell wearing the suit for the film, "Elvis" in 1979:

Filming locations included Long Beach, California where a home doubled for Graceland, the Century Plaza Hotel in Century City, California was also used. 

Sandi Miller with Elvis at his 1174 Hillcrest Drive home in late 1968.

Elvis and Sandi Miller in 1969.

Sandi Miller, a friend of Elvis' and a former girlfriend of Charlie Hodge was there for a day of shooting at Elvis' former home 1174 Hillcrest Drive in Beverly Hills. The exterior of the home as well as the interior were used. The scenes can be viewed towards the end of the film. "Production trucks were everywhere, I don't think the neighbors were too happy!" 

Kurt Russell as Elvis rehearses "Suspicious Minds" inside Elvis' actual home at 1174 Hillcrest Drive in Beverly Hills.


Sandi Miller continues: "I remember Kurt said ' Some freaky things happened while we were filming...' He and Charlie would come outside and chat between scenes. Miller had been at this home on many occasions with Elvis and was a trusted friend. 



Season Hubley as Priscilla Presley shooting inside Elvis' former home at 1174 Hillcrest Drive in Beverly Hills.


When "Elvis" first aired on ABC on February 11, 1979 it beat "Gone With The Wind" and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo'sNest" in ratings on the rival networks CBS amd NBC. After its success on television, "Elvis" was released theatrically in Europe. The film was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture Made For Televsion and for three Primetime Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Lead Actor in a Mini-series or Movie for Kurt Russell.




Anthony Lawrence penned the story, he had also worked as a screenwriter for Elvis on three pictures, "Roustabout", "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" and "Easy Come, Easy Go". Singer Ronnie McDowell did the vocals as Elvis. McDowell had a 1977 hit just after Elvis' death with a song that he wrote called "The King Is Gone". Elvis' producer at RCA Felton Jarvis produced the tracks to be used for the film and the soundtrack album. The DVD was released in 2010 and the Blu-ray has been a long time coming, it is now available and looking fabulous! 


The movie isn't perfect, there are flaws, but it is without a doubt, the best that has been done to date. There was only one Elvis Aaron Presley, there are countless Elvis Tribute Artists all over the world. The ETA's are male, female and any nationality that you can think of. Elvis touched millions upon untold millions of people. I remember meeting Muhammad Ali who told me: "I was in Africa and I went into this tent and there was nobody there, nothing but a Holy Bible. I picked it up and inside was a photo of Elvis!"

As George Klein, Elvis' longtime friend says: "There have been many pretenders and there have been many contenders. The United States has had 43 presidents - and only one king!" 

I personally think that Elvis would like the film and the sincerity of those involved. Sure, I can pick out some errors or say "This didn't happen until later." People can nitpick about this or that, but the love for Elvis is there in each frame. It's dramatic license or as Dick Clark put it "artistic license."

Kurt Russell did an excellent job in his portrayal. Kurt was ten-years-old when met Elvis, who was twenty-seven. When Kurt Russell was twenty-seven he was portraying Elvis Presley in a film. Ironic? I can remember what Elvis said to me and on many occasions to friends and he has the last word in this article: "There is no such thing as coincidence. There is a reason for everything!"




NOW AVAILABLE ON Blu-ray and DVD!


  


1 comment:

  1. Great article! And, again, I learned a couple of new things about the legacy of Elvis. Thanks Don!

    ReplyDelete