Friday, March 23, 2018

Burt Reynolds in The Last Movie Star






I just screened "The Last Movie Star" starring Burt Reynolds. In many ways Burt is just that. Sure, there are other legends of the Silver Screen, like Clint Eastwood, but, he is behind the cameras now. Before I tell you of the screening, I will give you some background why this film was emotional to me.


Growing up, I had three movie heroes Burt Reynolds, Clint Eastwood and John Wayne. I didn't meet The Duke, I missed him by 15 minutes in 1976. I did meet Burt Reynolds and Clint Eastwood. Those film stars I hoped to meet when I moved to Hollywood twenty-five years ago.
Meeting Burt was something people always hope to do when they go to Hollywood. In my case, it was 1998, I went to Beverly Hills. I had just done a Hollywood Show at the Beverly Garland Hotel and left early. I wanted to pick up two new VHS releases, one being a widescreen copy of "Deliverance" and "Some Like It Hot". Little did I know, when I drove down Wilshire Boulevard that day, I would meet my movie hero.

My former wife was with me and our three year old son. Across the street from the Hollywood Video store is the El Rey Theatre and in big letters on the marquee it read "Starring Burt Reynolds". I found out later that Burt was there to shoot a Kodak commercial.

As I drove into the back parking lot, I noticed a guy that looked like Burt Reynolds - it was Burt Reynolds. He had posed in a group shot with the employees of the video store and he was walking to his limo, when I jumped out of my car and shouted "Hey Burt!". He turned around and walked towards us. He was chewing gum like he did dozens of times in his films.


Burt said "Yeah, what's up?" I mentioned how much we admired him and loved his films. He was pleased and smiled. He said"Even this little guy?" We assured him that he did. I asked him to pose for some photos. He said "Sure!" He posed with my wife and son. Burt then posed with me.


Burt asked where we were from. I said "We live here." He said, "But, you're not from here." I told him of my aspirations of working in the film business. He warned me that this town could build you up and then chew you up and spit you out.


I asked Burt advice for a actor. He said "Never give up! I went to 499 auditions and they turned me down flat. I got my first job after all those tries. Clint Eastwood and I were fired they same day. They said Clint's Adam's Apple was too big and they told me 'You can't act!' I told Clint, 'I can always learn to act, but you can't get rid of that Adam's Apple!'


I told Burt that I believed that he was going to win the Golden Globe the next day, he didn't seem to believe he would. He did. He hadn't even seen the film "Boogie Nights" and didn't want to do it. we talked about quite a few things that afternoon, including the South,"Smokey And The Bandit" and Elvis.



I met a lot of stars in Hollywood, but Burt Reynolds was the most down to earth. Burt took time for us, something not many stars these days would do. He alluded to offers that he turned down, some mistakes. He wished us well and wished me luck with my career. He said to me that once I was done, find a place of quiet and go back to the South.


This brings me to "The Last Movie Star". I viewed the film with my girlfriend on our big screen, we popped the popcorn and settled back. I don't want to give away everything, so I will just touch on it, here and there.Burt conveyed how it feels to grow older and look back on your life. His character, 'Vic Edwards' seems lonely. He is still young at heart, but visibly older and he uses a cane. He plays a character much like himself, a one time major star, someone many still feel is a living legend. The younger crowd just doesn't seem to get it.

He's invited to an awards show/film festival in Nashville, but doesn't want to go, but his pal, Chevy Chase talks him into it. It's not what he expected, from there on, it becomes a visit to his past and also a self realization of himself. The characters that the actors and actresses portray will touch you. The film was exceptionally cast. You will laugh and you will cry. It is a must for film lovers and fans of Mr. Reynolds.


The film is available on Direct TV Cinema, on Blu-ray and will be released in theaters on March 30. Catch it, you will be glad that you did. Burt Reynolds should be nominated for an Oscar - and win it!
- Don Wilson
www.donwilsonshollywoodbeat.com

No comments:

Post a Comment