Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Memories of Working for Garry Marshall

My Memories Of Working For Garry Marshall 

  by Don Wilson



HOLLYWOOD: July 20, 2016 - Writer-Director-Producer Garry Marshall whose creations include "Happy Days" and "Laverne & Shirley" has died at age 81 in Burbank. According to his publicist Michelle Bega, he died from complications of pneumonia following a stroke. Friends and fans are shocked, as I am. Mr. Marshall's work cannot be listed in a paragraph, he was so prolific.

I had the honor of working with Mr. Marshall once and what a great experience it was.n 1999, I was an aspiring actor and I was signed up at Cenex Casting, Casting Director Jason Rupe booked me to work on "The Other Sister", a film directed by Marshall. I remember reporting to All Saint's Episcopal Church on Euclid Avenue in Pasadena. I would work on the project for over a week. I got a speaking part, but my bit ended up on the cutting room floor. 

I remember the weather was cold and many of us on the set caught colds. I was excited to be on a Garry Marshall picture, having loved his work. The first time I saw him , he walked inside the church and spoke with all of us about what he wanted and the mood of the picture. he had a vision of what he wanted and he shot scenes until he got it right or made corrections in ways only he could possibly could. 

There was a scene that called for emotion in the crowd, the wedding scene, some sniffling and crying. After a few days many of us had  colds. Marshall called out "Action!" The scene was shot and then he said "Again! Action!" After the scene, I glanced over to my left and saw him smiling ear to ear. Marshall stood behind some kind of pulpit to the side of the room, out of camera range. he shouted, "Cut! Print It! Great! Great!"

Director Garry Marshall on the set directing a scene. Photo: Photofest

 I walked over and said, "Mr. Marshall you really look happy. He said, "Yeah, it's just what I wanted!".  I said I did my best although I have this terrible cold..." He replied, "I don't care if you're dying! You're doing great kid! That's Hollywood!" 


What a line and right off the top of his head. That interaction made me feel that I had arrived in Hollywood. The Hollywood of people's fantasies. Although, I had a small part, I felt like I belonged, thanks to Garry Marshall and his attention. I wish I had continued acting, but I went down the road of doing documentaries. I wanted to work with Garry Marshall again.

I was a couple of rows behind Diane Keaton, the star of the picture, I remember one time when she got really flustered about a scene and she looked over at Marshall and said, "How do I do this scene?" He came over to her and said, "Diane..." Then he started talking softly to her and she started to smile and did the scene in one take. That shows a great director. 

The whole crew loved Garry Marshall, he was approachable and liked his actors and actresses - and those who worked behind the scenes. 

"The Other Sister" wasn't the last picture that I worked on, but, it was great fun. Although my speaking part was cut, I can still be seen in the film. It doesn't matter, the experience was wonderful. I had a nice conversation with Diane Keaton one day  - and my memories of how Garry Marshall directed - Priceless! 

I saw Mr. Marshall at some events the last few years, the last one was for the "Laverne & Shirley" Reunion at The Hollywood Show in 2012. What a great loss it is for his family, friends, fans and Hollywood. He was "Mr. Hollywood in a lot of ways, he wore many hats and was great at everything he did. What Garry Marshall touched turned gold. He will be missed but his work and his legacy will continue for generations to come.

Actors Tom Skerritt, Diane Keaton, Juliette Lewis on set for "The Other Sister".
 
"GARRY MARSHALL Rest In Peace .. Thank you for my professional life. Thank you for your loyalty , friendship and generosity." - Henry Winkler

Actor Henry Winkler and Don Wilson in Los Angeles.




Garry Marshall IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005190/



 www.donwilsonshollywoodbeat.com

No comments:

Post a Comment